In the original game only bullet damage was influenced by difficulty level. Difficulty levels in GMDX however influence a wide variety of encounters related to stealth, combat & exploration. Difficulty levels have been expanded upon considerably to provide a suitable experience relative to the player’s skill level. Just be sure to pick the right difficulty level for you! If you’re entirely new to Deus Ex “Easy” or “Medium” is recommended. If you’ve played Deus Ex before yet are new to GMDX then “Medium” or “Hard” is recommended. If you’re a dedicated challenge seeker “Realistic” or “Hardcore” is recommended.
Just some examples of influenced behaviours are as follows:
A new difficulty mode that emphasises choice & consequence, challenge, balance & strategic tension.
Not for those averse to a challenge.
You must first complete GMDX on any difficulty level to unlock hardcore mode.
How Hardcore Mode Works
- Disables manual saving, enables save points and map transition autosave
- Cycles through 20 save slots (# of slots can be increased or decreased via options menu)
- Disables weapon auto reloading
- Disables console commands/cheats
- All aspects of the User Interface must be navigated in real-time
- Ammo is slightly more scarce in hardcore mode
- On hardcore mode doors and their locks are more resilient, as are hackable devices
- AI is more intelligent in hardcore mode and much more.